Have You Been Told Your Knee is Bone-on-Bone?
Medicare now requires patients try and fail several non-surgical options before approving total knee replacement surgery.
These methods may include weight loss, exercise, over the counter pain relievers, opioids, steroid injections, physical therapy and a knee protocol called viscosupplementation.
A proven, non-surgical treatment called Viscosupplementation Therapy is providing hope and relief for many knee pain sufferers.
Viscosupplementation therapy is a procedure involving the injection of gel-like substances (hyaluronates) into a joint to supplement the viscous properties of synovial fluid. This procedure has been shown to be 86% successful in alleviating pain associated with osteoarthritis and is covered by most major medical insurance providers and Medicare.
At Bay Area Neuromuscular, we offer this minimally invasive procedure that requires no surgery, can provide immediate results, and has little to no recovery time.
Prevent Knee Surgery With a Simple In-Office Protocol
Click on the image below to view a video of this procedure
Request a NO-COST, RISK-FREE Knee Pain Consultation
Why our Non-Surgical Knee Program is so Successful
Our clinic offers a unique approach in rehabilitation of Osteoarthritic Knees by using the combination of:
- injections using fluoroscopic guidance to insure gel is placed in the joint
- custom fit, unloading knee braces for knee stability, gain correction and pain relief
- light, targeted knee exercise to rebuild strength and help correct gait
- highly trained practitioners specializing in total knee rehabilitation
- on-going knee treatments to relieve pain and boost healing
- 3- and 6-month follow up to assess progress
We found that the combination of factors listed above are the main reasons for our success.
Accurate Knee Injections
We utilize a breakthrough piece of medical equipment called a Fluoroscope. This is a very important point because fluoroscopy allows our medical staff to look inside your joints, in real time, with the latest imaging technology while administering any of our minimally invasive injection procedures. This instrument helps to insure that the injected material is introduced to the exact point intended and therefore provides the best possible outcome from each injection.
Unloading Knee Brace
This knee support device increases joint space reducing the pressure on the cartilage of the knee and the knee cap. This un-loading effect aids the viscosupplement that has been injected to bond with the knee joint’s existing synovial fluid with greater ease.
- Adjustable – Varus and valgus adjustments lessens pain and aids the viscosupplement in bonding with the knee joint’s existing synovial fluid
- Durable – Rivets are used, instead of screws that come loose or break
- Wearable – Fits beneath slacks so patients are more likely to wear it
- Comfortable – Cushioned to avoid skin irritation extending wear time
Proper Exercise is Important
Most patients have altered their gait (walking) as their knee degenerates. Light exercise for focuses on the muscles, ligaments, and returning strength and normal function. Proper exercise also helps spread the viscosupplement within the treated joint.
Healing Pain Relief Treatments: After the injection series to help boost the healing response and to help with any lingering pain, patients are offered a weekly or bi-weekly non-surgical, drug-free pain relief treatment, delivered at our clinic. Frequency is determined based on need.
Three-Month Assessment: A check-up to measure progress and notate status of the knee healing protocol.
Six-Month Re-evaluation: Some patients may need a second round of knee injections, depending on the amount of knee joint damage originally documented and the results of the first protocol. Most insurances will cover this repeat protocol based on medical necessity.
Why Did Prior Injections Fail?
- There are different brands of hyaluronic acid (viscosupplement), and some work better than others.
- It is important that the gel is injected into the knee joint accurately. That’s why we use the fluoroscope to insure proper placement.
- Many clinics either do not dispense a knee brace, the brace is uncomfortable or it does not help.
- Monitoring of results and adjustments not made.
- No post-injection treatments or follow up appointments
Limitations of Insurance
There are only so many treatment options for knee pain that insurance companies will cover. Some patients struggle with high deductibles and co-pay requirements making even covered treatments unaffordable. Many aren’t told that the hyaluronic acid injections can be repeated every six months or that it may take more than one series to get optimum results. If covered treatments don’t work long-term, patients feel they must continue to suffer or that replacement surgery is their only option.
There ARE Options
If traditional, insurance covered therapies have fallen short, consider regenerative healing options.